Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Preserving the Harvest AND Exciting NEWS!!!


Cannin', Cannin', Cannin'
Cannin',Cannin', Cannin'
Move 'em on, peel 'em up,
 Cut 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, bake 'em out Canning!
 Peel 'em out, cut 'em in
 Bake 'em in, crisp 'em out,
Cut 'em out, move 'em in Canning.
Cannin', Cannin', Cannin' 
Cannin',Cannin', Cannin'

Yes, that would be to the tune of Rawhide,
I know I'm giving away my age and 
 yes, I believe I just maybe a tad delirious from the last few days.
Another 3 batches of Strawberry Fig Jam (recipe here) and 2 batches of Pina Colada Jam (recipe here),
  

2 Zapple Pies, one to eat


and one for the freezer.


That pretty much finished up the Figs and Zucchini.
A bunch of Tomatoes ripened at once, so the next day
 I made a Fresh Red Tomato Cake (recipe here)


I ran out of canning jars so I made a Zapple Crisp.
Love crisps, they are so easy to make.
I noticed the bunch of bananas we had were getting overly
ripe so I made Banana Bread (recipe here)
and put it in the freezer.


Whew, all caught up! No wasting the harvest here!

Then B showed up with 2 boxes of
Apples and a box of Pears!!


From T's Aunt Sharon's garden.
Thanks Aunt Sharon! 



After picking up more jars I started
 cannin', cannin', cannin' 
Whoops, don't want to get that started again!

But to make a long story and weekend shorter 
I made 4 batches of Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce,
2 batches of Cinnamon Rum Pears
(first time make them
OMG they are delish!),


A Pear Crisp and 2 Pear Crumble Pies!
The pantry and freezer are full of yummies!


Whew, all done..........
or so I thought.

M came walking in with a box of Pomegranates off our tree!
 And she said there's more, but they aren't quite ready yet.


I AM CANNED OUT!

Whatever is left over that we don't eat fresh I will be
drying instead of making Pomegranate Jelly (recipe here).


This little bunch is left from last year.
I make our "instant oatmeal" because we go thru a lot and it's too darn expensive to buy. But I toss in Walnuts, Chia Seeds, Almonds, granola, whatever I have on hand. These dried Pomegranate Seeds work out well in the Oatmeal.
Here are the recipes I haven't posted before.
Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce
Ingredients:
12 cups peeled, sliced, cored apples
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
Directions:
Place apples in large pot, add 1 cup water. Bring to boil, let simmer until apples are tender. Remove from heat. Mash with potato masher until desired chunkiness. Add sugar and cinnamon and stir until well mixed. Pack your sterilized jars with applesauce leaving 1/2'' head space.  Using a wooden spoon handle, gently slide down the inside edges of each jar to remove any trapped air bubbles. Clean top of jars with damp cloth and place lid and ring on each jar. Tighten. Water bath for 20 minutes.  When done remove the jars and place them on counter to cool. When cool, feel tops of each lid to test the seal. If you can press down on the seal it didn't properly seal so you'll need to refrigerate those. 

Fresh Fruit Crisp

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine
5-6 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples, peaches (whatever fruit you want to use)
2 Tablespoons sugar
Directions:
Combine oats, brown sugar, flour cinnamon. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. Place fruit in a 10x6x2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar. Sprinkle crumb mixture over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 mins.
Fresh Pear Crumble Pie
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
5 cups sliced, peeled fresh pears
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
Pastry for single crust pie
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter 
Directions:
Combine 1/2 cup sugar and the 2 Tablespoons flour. In a large bowl sprinkle pears with lemon juice. Add the sugar mixture to pears and toss to coat. Fill 9'' pie crust with pear mixture. In another bowl combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 sugar, ginger, and cinnamon. Cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over pear filling. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 mins. Remove foil, bake 25-30 mins. more or till pie is bubbly and crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Rum Cinnamon Pears
courtesy Florassippigirl
Ingredients: (2 pint jars)
4 cups orange juice or 4 cups water with 1/4 cup lemon juice
6-8 pears (depending on size)
2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
2  shots Spiced Rum (like Captain Morgan, I was out so used C's Sailor Jerry) shh don't tell him!
Directions: 
Pour the OJ into a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice your pears. Place the sliced pears into the OJ to keep from turning brown. Make a light syrup by combining the water and sugar in a saucepan. Drain pears. Pack your sterilized jars with sliced pears and 1 cinnamon stick per jar. Pour 1 shot of spiced rum into each jar. Then top the jars off with the light syrup. Leave 1/2'' head space.  Using a wooden spoon handle, gently slide down the inside edges of each jar to remove any trapped air bubbles. Add more syrup if necessary. Clean top of jars with damp cloth and place lid and ring on each jar. Tighten. Water bath for 25 minutes.  When done remove the jars and place them on counter to cool. When cool feel tops of each lid to test the seal. If you can press down on the seal it didn't properly seal so you'll need to refrigerate those...or eat them!


Instant Oatmeal
In each sandwich bag: add 1/2 cup quick cooking oats and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar or 2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar, which ever you prefer. You can eat as is or add pecans, walnuts, raisins, granola, etc.  Prepare with hot water as you would with store bought Instant Oatmeal.

Pear Crisp
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
3 Tablespoons stick margarine, cut into pieces
4 cups sliced, peeled pears
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions:
In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form; set aside. Place pears in a bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, ginger and remaining cinnamon; toss to coat. Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until pears are tender.  
I doubled the recipe to use my 9''x12'' pan you see in the photo.


Now for that EXCITING NEWS!!

I'm going to be a GRANDMA for the first time!!!!!!

Yep, there's a little nugget in there somewhere
Didn't have these fancy picture taking contraptions when I had mine, So don't expect me to tell you where it is exactly! LOL






15 comments:

  1. i love canning too and rawhide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays! Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams City of Links Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for the invite! I'll see you over there ♥
      *hugs*deb

      Delete
  3. Just started canning this year and I LOVE it. Now you have given me more recipes to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! So glad to help out with new recipes♥ Enjoy
      *hugs*deb

      Delete
  4. I already left a comment about you canning but forget the most important news. Congratulations on being a grandma. I am hoping I will be able to say that one day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! So excited! My youngest is 22, oldest (who will be the new daddy) is 37, sure hope I haven't forgotten how "to ride the bike"! Long time without babies. I'm sure you will be a Grandma one day, when the timing is right ;)
      *hugs*deb

      Delete
  5. Looks like you've been busy!! I've canned and frozen a lot this summer, too. Plenty of rain = full freezer/panty. Congratulations on your big news!! That little 'nugget' will be enjoying his grandma's applesauce soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes you fell good to have everything filled doesn't it? Thank you so much! Didn't even think of the applesauce when I made it, but they grow so fast, you are so right! Exciting ♥
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you were busy!! And congrats on the grandchild to be! Thanks for sharing the recipes and your skills with us and linking to our Retro Re-Pin party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and glad you enjoyed it. I think more people canned, froze, preserved more this year than in a long time
      *hugs*deb

      Delete
  8. Wow, impressive. We did get grape jelly made and froze some tomatoes sauces. Congrats on your first grandchild. Be prepared for an amazing love to overwhelm you in a new way! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to preserve some too. My Mom used to make tomato sauce and tomato juice. Thanks for the congrats...not sure if it's all sunk in yet ;)
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin