Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Monday, September 12, 2011

Pina Colada Jam

This recipe was in our local newspaper last week.
It caught my eye and since it calls for Zucchini
and I have lots of Zukes so I thought it was worth a try.

Pina Colada Jam

6 cups Sugar
6 cups Zucchini, shredded and peeled
1 (8oz) can Crushed Pineapple, undrained
1/4 cup Lime Juice
2 pkgs. (3 oz ea) Pineapple Gelatin
(I had to go to a couple of grocers to find this gelatin.
It will be in the Hispanic section)
1 teaspoon Rum Extract



Combine sugar, zucchini, pineapple and lime juice in a large pot.
Bring to boil.
Boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.


Remove from heat.
Stir in gelatin and extract until gelatin is dissolved.


Pour into jars or freezer containers,
leaving 1/2" head space.
Cool completely before covering with lids.
Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 1 year.
I made some Strawberry Fig Jam too, that's what you see in the back.


It reminds me of my Mom's Apricot Pineapple Jam she used to make each year.
It reminds me of my childhood so I really like it.
My older children remember Nana's jam too so they like it.
The younger ones aren't quite sure yet, but are coming around quickly.

My technical adjustments/differences ;):

I just canned it in vintage canning jars from my Mom and Grandmother
 instead of putting it in the freezer.
I didn't have enough Lime Juice so I added
Lemon Juice to make the right amount.

and

just rereading the recipe right now I realize
I put in 2 (6oz) gelatin packets
instead of 2 (3oz) packets...
oops

So that would explain why it's a little stiff....
Oh well, it's still good.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds positively divine. I giggled at your mistake because sure as shootin', that is something I would do. Have a wonderful day and thanks so much for coming by to see me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonerfu. I love pineapple in anything! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally see myself doing something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there is zucchini in that? Sounds good. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Deb! This sounds really good! I am going to have to try this one out. I'm surprised by the zucchini. Love zucchini though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like something I would do. It looks so good cooking on the stove....I can taste it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of those live and learn recipes. Sometimes our mistakes lead us to a better outcome.
    I just picked up a charity cookbook and on the cover the previous owner had listed her favorite pages - Zucchini recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! Thanks for linking to 2nd Time Around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! And what a cool way to use up the abundance of zucchinis! Thank you for sharing his with us for TTF and have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I am back to let you know that I will be featuring this post on this week's TTF party! The post will be up Thursday at 4:00.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin