Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fresh Red Tomato Cake

To all of you who are waiting with baited breath it was.........






mmmm mmmm goooood!!

Kinda similar to Carrot Cake.
No you can't taste the tomatoes.

So here ya go ☺☺

Fresh Tomato Cake
from RecipeLand


Ingredients


1 cup brown sugar, dark
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
3 cups flour, all-purpose
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tomatoes,  ripe and peeled
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup raisins, seedless chopped



Directions

Mix cream sugar and shortening.
Add eggs.
Add sifted dry ingredients, mixing well.
Stir in tomatoes, nuts, dates, and raisins.
Put into greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan.
Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
Frost with cream cheese frosting.

I changed a couple things.
I didn't peel the tomatoes. Instead, I pureed them.
Didn't add raisins or dates.
Doubled the nuts.


8 comments:

  1. Now this is a first ... tho I can't eat tomatoes it sounds good.

    Have a great autumn eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... yummy yum yum... now that cake looks very dilish! While the receipe looks easy, wouldn't it be even easier for you to just send me a piece?? :)

    Love the little birds and nests below ~ truly irrisitable!

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb honey I hate to admit it for all the world to see but this is the first time I have ever ever seen or heard of this kind of cake. lol
    In a million years I would have never thought of it. Very unusual
    Love your falling leaves...at first I thought something was wrong with my computer. Thank goodness it was your leaves.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll be the first to admit it...I would never have thought of this, but...since I like zucchini cake, carrot cake, and the like, I can see how this would be really good. Now, if only I'd gotten decent tomatoes this year! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting....may have to try it out next year on the family...should I tell them the ingredients first....nah! Way to fun not too!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I saw you had a bounty of 'maters. We can't find good ones here though, they are hard and tasteless anyway. BUT if I ever do get some good ones this sounds like a great recipe.
    (())

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy have I missed alot this week , or you have been very busy posting .....lol Where to begin..,I was a bit surprised too when I went into Home Depot and saw x-mas trees. And boy!You must have some very well behaved animals! If I put a tree up, with 6 cats What a Disaster!!I don't want to begin to tell you what they would do!
    Oh and that Chandelier,,,,, sooo Jealous!... lol That will be something fun to play with :)

    Never heard of Tomatoe Cake, but it sounds interesting ....hummm Too bad we can't pass samples thru the computer..... hahaha Well if we have Carrot Cake, why not Tomatoe Cake ...lol
    Well,it's almost midnight here. Gotta go, have to get up & go to the Dr. tomorrow. Regular check up (ugh!)
    Till Later ~
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Deb. Nope, never heard of this one but I bet it's great. Now if you were just here to give me a taste. You're blog looks wonderful. I adore the floating leaves!

    Thanks for stopping by to visit me. I always love hearing from you! Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin