Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Apron

The History of 'APRONS'

(Notice that a "Medium" is a size 14 - 16)



Remember making an apron in Home Ec?



 I don't think our kids
know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's
apron was to protect the dress
underneath because she only
had a few. It was also because it
was easier to wash aprons than
dresses and aprons used less
material. But along with that,
it served as a potholder for removing
hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying
children's tears, and on occasion
was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron
was used for carrying eggs,
fussy chicks, and sometimes
half-hatched eggs to be finished
in the warming oven.


When company came, those aprons
were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold
Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped
many a perspiring brow,
bent over the hot wood stove.


Chips and kindling wood were
brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried
all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled,
it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to
bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove
up the road, it was surprising how
much furniture that old apron
could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready,
Grandma walked out onto the porch,
waved her apron,
and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something
that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.



REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now
trying to figure out how many
germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything
from an apron - but love...

5 comments:

  1. I love aprons and have enjoyed reading about them here..medium 14 16 was when women where not afraid to be women and the media had not skewed our self image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a renewal of the aprons. My family was never without one anywhere they were in the house. I one of two that I have kept over the years. I do not wear them tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your apron post is adorable. I almost want to cry with emotion--my grandmother raised me and she was never without a fresh apron daily around the house doing domestic chores and cooking! (she even ironed them)--thank you for a lovely posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic post, Deb. I remember those aprons as a child. I had one and mom always had several. I'm printing this post out to save. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin