Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Makeovers


Remember this vintage picnic basket?
It was in pretty bad shape


Kinda dirty too


Here she is all made over!


Given a shabby white paint job on the inside,
blue on the inside


I had kept a birthday card my sister gave me...it had the prettiest dragonfly on it.
I knew some day I would do something with it....

I finally did!


I just snipped the sweet images and adhered them here and there.


It doesn't show up in the photo but I used a light blue paint pen to make swirls
here and there on the top.


It will be used to store my silk flowers.
They will be safe, dry and stay clean.....
sometimes very hard in this house!

I've always wanted a mannequin...
let's face it,
if you don't already have one you want one too!

When my friend Dawn heard,
the next time she visited
she brought an old adult one
for me that she had.

Thank you so much Dawn!!

I've had it for a while and using it regularly.
I've been wanting the adult to have more definition
as she is a shell.


She had a broken leg that I taped for stabilization.

I had an idea.
Didn't know if it would work,
but felt it was worth a try.
 

I have a pile of filling bags from garage sales.
I always pick them up when I see them
mainly because they are usually 10-50 cents.


I decided to start with an old blanket.
I shaped it to fit inside her shell and taped it in place.


Then I used the filling to fill in her legs, arms, and neck.


It was all secured with tape to hold in in place.


Once secured, I covered the back with tape.


Trimmed around the edges...


and decoupaged the whole thing with and old vintage sewing pattern I had.
I really like the different shades from where the pieces over lap,
makes it look older to me.


Now I can use it to display my latest jewelry....


or an old dress I Love....
(I know it needs to be ironed, I was in a hurry!)


Or both!


♥♥♥

9 comments:

  1. Hi Deb,
    I love the mannequin so much you did a really great job,it looks wonderful displayed with the dress and flowers,
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice vintage presentation today. You did wonders on the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The manikin 'upgrade' with the patterns makes a great display surface. Thanks for sharing.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one talented gal! Awesome. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. you are a genius. I have always wanted one of these in my sewing room, but only have found "halves" that I could afford and did not buy them....oh, how I wish I had! Girl, this is amazing how it turned out!! Love it!!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to feel sorry for naked manikins. Your makeover is great - good use of old patterns - and you can't tell about her leg troubles. Enjoy your new/old picnic basket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your picnic basket turned out great. The mannequin is so fun in her new "frock"! Thanks for joining TTF and have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is darling. I love what you did both with your picnic basket and your womanequin.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin