Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

.

.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Bathroom Cabinets

I'm linking up withThe DIY Show Off.
Be sure to pop on over and check it out!

It's Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps On The Porch.
Pop over and check out more "before's and after's".

 I'm also participating in "Show Off Monday" over at Etsy Cottage Style.
Be sure to check out all the bragging!

Funky Junk Interiors for Party Junk 222 – upcycled bathroom ideas


*****
  
This is a continuation of my Bathroom Makeover.



These cabinets are original to our house. They are the shoddiest things I've ever seen. I'm not sure what kind of "wood" they are made out of...possibly particle board or something along that line. 


On most of the door's edges they have "puffed up". Kind of like a swelling. There is a faux wood "paper type" covering that I originally thought was a Contact Paper. Anyway, they look aweful.

 

I took one of the doors to Sherwim Williams to see if there was a paint that would stick to the slick covering. The guy behind the counter, said the slickness wouldn't be the problem, but the "raised" flaky edges were. And suggested I buy new cabinets. Well, if new cabinets were in the budget I would have already done that!




 I left mumbling...thanks for the help, maybe I'll just decoupage them, darn cabinets anyway, blah, blah, blah.




I got in my van and on the way home thought....hmm, maybe decoupaging isn't that far off an idea. I thought of pretty papers I could use, the possiblities were endless.




Then reality hit, if I didn't like were the paper had been placed trying to reposition it would be a nightmare. The lightblub went on! I'm very familiar decoupaging fabric. Repositonable, inexpensive, variety...BINGO!
I stopped at Walmart. Found some fabric that reminded me of the Beach.
A sandy brown, slightly nubby..perfect!


Asked for 3 yards (having no idea how much I would actually need)!
Grabbed 3 bottles of ModPodge Satin (again not knowing how much), and headed home.




First, I removed the doors.
I cut the fabric to approximate size, applied the ModgePodge with a paint brush to the cabinet frame then trimmed to fit with a exacto knife. After all the fabric was in place I started my first of about 4 coats of ModgePodge.




In between coats I worked on the doors. I scraped off the raised edges/areas with a putty knife, so you wouldn't see a bump.
Applied the same technique.



Cut fabric to approz. size (yes, I marked which door was which on the inside. Knowing me I would end up with them on the wrong sides upside down!).

 

Apply the Mod Podge to the front of the door.


Flip door over.


Smooth out any wrinkles and repostition if neccessary.



Try to fold corners neatly and glue well.



Trim as needed.


The beginning of my four coat process,
remembering to allow to dry between coats.


My family thought I was crazy. Yeh, like a fox!

Once all coats were applied, I decided I wanted to add knobs on the doors. They didn't originally have them.


I thought of the glass knobs from my Play House from when I was little.
My oldest Son surprised me with them one day while we were working at my parents farm trying to get it ready to rent out. The Play House, along with other out buildings was on the demolish list.
He had gone in and removed them for me.

I dug them out and it just so happened they were the screw in type, got the screwdriver added them and Voila!


They look awesome, even if I have to say so myself! LOL
And with all those coats of Mod Podge they came out sooo smooth.
And yes, the kids and Hubby say they look 100 times better!


All for about $10.00!



Next is the Kitchen.
Wait and see what I've got planned for more of these cabinets in there!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin