Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Friday, March 24, 2017

Bathroom Cabinet Makeover

  
This is a continuation of my Bathroom Makeover.

These cabinets are original to my house. 
They are the shoddiest things I've ever seen.
 I'm not sure what kind of "wood" they are made out of...
possibly particle board or something along that line. 

On most of the door's edges they have "puffed up". 
Kind of like a swelling. There is a faux wood "paper type" 
covering that I originally thought was a Contact Paper. 
But isn't. Anyway, they look awful.
After 20 I was over it!

 

I took one of the doors to Sherwin Williams to see if there 
was a paint that would stick to the slick covering. 
The guy behind the counter, said the slickness wouldn't be the problem, 
but the "raised" flaky edges were. 
And suggested I buy new cabinets. 
Well, if new cabinets were in the budget 
I would have already done that!

 I left mumbling...thanks for the help, 
maybe I'll just decoupage them, 
darn cabinets anyway, blah, blah, blah.

I got in my van and on the way home thought....
hmm, maybe decoupaging isn't that far fetched. 
I thought of pretty papers I could use, 
the possibilities were endless.

Then reality hit, if I didn't like were the paper had been 
placed trying to reposition it would be a nightmare. 
The light bulb lit! yes, it does on occasion.
I'm very familiar decoupaging fabric. 
Repositonable, inexpensive, variety...BINGO!

I stopped at Walmart. 
Found some fabric that reminded me of the Beach.
A sandy brown, slightly nubby..perfect!

Asked for 3 yards (having no idea how much I would actually need)!
Grabbed 3 bottles of Mod Podge Satin (again not knowing how much), 
and headed home.

First, I removed the doors.
i should say door, one would never stay hinged.
I cut the fabric to approximate size, 
applied the Mod Podge with a paint brush to the cabinet frame
 then trimmed to fit with a exacto knife. 
After all the fabric was in place I started my first of
 4 coats of Mod Podge.

In between coats I worked on the doors. 
I scraped off the raised edges/areas with a putty knife, 
so you wouldn't see a bump and sanded them as smooth as possible.
Applied the same technique.

Cut fabric to approx. size (yes, I marked which door was which on the inside. Knowing me I would end up with them on the wrong sides upside down!).

 

Apply the Mod Podge to the front of the door.
Flip door over.


Smooth out any wrinkles and repostition if necessary.



Try to fold corners neatly over and glue well.


why I didn't think of staples is beyond me!


Trim as needed.


The beginning of my four coat process,
 allowing to thoroughly dry between coats.


My family thought I was crazy. Yeh, like a fox!

Once all coats were applied, I decided I wanted to add knobs 
on the doors.
 They didn't originally have them.

I thought of the glass knobs from my Play House from when I was little.
My oldest Son surprised me with them one day while we were 
working at our parents farm trying to get it ready to rent out.
The Play House, along with other out buildings, was on the demolish list.
He had gone in, without me knowing and saved them for me.

I dug them out and it just so happened they were the screw in type, 
got the screwdriver, added them and Voila!


They look awesome, even if I have to say so myself! LOL
With all those coats of Mod Podge they came out sooo smooth
 and water resistant.
Even the kids say they look 100 times better!

All for about $10.00!

Next is the Kitchen.
Wait and see what I've got planned for 
more of these cabinets in there!

If you enjoyed this post you may enjoy these

17 comments:

  1. Deb, I'm going to add you to my follow list!! I love your decoupage idea!! Genius! I can't wait to see your kitchen cabinets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out so good. You did an awesome job. Way to go and such a great price. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative! Wonderful idea. TY for sharing.

    Pop over & meet a new blog lady @ shabbycottageshoppe.blogspot.com

    TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transformation!! I am wondering how long it took for the dry period!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRILLIANT! And the post was hilarious!!! They turned out great!
    Alyshia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!!!!!! G-E-N-I-O-U-S!!!!Didn't even know you could ModPodge fabric!!! What an inexpensive makeover with fantastic results!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to transform your bathroom cabinet. It looks fabulous! I would have never thought of using modge podge and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a make-over! I love that the knobs have a sentimental value for you too :)

    What a thrifty, beautiful save.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, Holy Cow!! You are so talented! Talk about a lovely inexpensive makeover. Way to go! Keep sharing your ideas we love them!
    Best wishes,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is a CREATIVE idea! I am so impressed that you did not say no to yourself and came up with a solution. Fantastic!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw....what an amazing story and transformation! What an amazing son...boy's do not usually think of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, now that is amazing! Talk about repuposing by the seat of your pants and it turned out so great!
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb, Thanks for checking out my blog. Marydon aka Blushing Rose Boutique has helped me so much. Your makeover is fabulous ~ I will be following you to see more!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a great idea. I never would have thought of it in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a creative idea, the cabinets look so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a great look. What an amazing transformation. For $10! Definitely worth it. It looks amazing!

    Thanks for linking to the Show & Tell!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I can't believe how economical this was! Well done...and what a difference!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin