Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Plain Jane Table to Bright and Beautiful


All the projects I had planned on doing this Summer were delayed by the above three!
Our house had become so quiet, losing 2 of our cats ages 20 and 22, one last December and the other this March. Then very unexpectedly, losing our American Staffordshire, 9, just a month later.
 
Not sure what I was thinking rescuing 3 puppies! I usually rescue around a year old.
All 3 within a month's time! A little black and white Terrier mix, a brindle unknown (vet won't even hazard a guess!) and a Corgi.
What a handful. I have more baby gates up now than I ever did with any of my kids! 

Anyway I digress, my oldest son had bought new furniture, the old was being sent to the dumps ~ but not before I got a look!!  Grabbed a recliner, the table above, a large bench and a personal refrigerator.  All but the refrigerator need some love, ie projects.

I started with the table in the above photo.
 It was all white with crayon and marker accents ;)
I had taken before photos but I changed carriers, buying a new phone and there go my photos  GRRR  Completely forgot I hadn't retrieved them.

I tightened all the wobbly joints to make it solid again.
I painted the legs with Hello Hobby Chalk Paint in aqua.
I've never used Unicorn Spit and really wanted to try it.
Figured the top of this rescued piece would be perfect.


I taped newspaper all the way around the edges to protect the Chalk Paint.
 I used Zia Teal, Purple Hill Majesty and White Ning Unicorn Spit.
Not sure what I was doing, I squirted some on and used my fingers to swirl it around. 
Wasn't too crazy about the swirls, so I "played" a bit and ended up making lines then blended the colors so they weren't so definite. I had a bowl of water nearby to dip my fingers in when needed to help move and blend the colors.


once it was dry I painted the edges with black craft paint.

The whole time I worked on this table I kept feeling like I was being watched.
Finally figured out who had their eyes on me ~~



I'm sure they thought they were going to be fed.


Once everything was thoroughly dry, I put 3 coats of  Marine Spar Varnish over the Unicorn Spit.  I wanted it to be protected well, my younger son would be using it.


I used a sponge brush to apply the Varnish, I wanted to be able to toss it when I was done. 
I found that the sponge would make bubbles in the Varnish.
Once the whole top was covered in Varnish, I found if I went over it with the side of the sponge brush it didn't leave any bubbles.

I then applied a clear Wax over the Chalk Paint.


 It was fun using the Unicorn Spit.
I really like the way it turned out.

The next project will be reupholstering the bench,
but that probably won't be until next Spring.
These puppies keep me hopping!

more here

4 comments:

  1. We lost a dog 3 cats last year. And adopted from the shelter : Blue healer mix and Cally a Calico cat. My hubby did the naming. The furniture looks great I have a few projects I need to do too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your losses. I know how they leave a hole in your heart along with their paw marks. Congratulations on the new family members!
    Projects, do we ever finish? Lol
    Thank you for stopping by. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your sad losses. And you are a hero to take on 3 pups at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on both accounts. Not sure a hero or nuts! LOL

      Delete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin