Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Monday, September 3, 2012

OK So I Did It!

I've jumped on the bandwagon!!
The upcycle/recycle T-Shirt bandwagon that is.
My kids had just cleaned out their closets and I had a humongous box of T-Shirts,
ripped, stained, outgrown, etc. ready to be disposed of.
Then I started seeing T-shirt projects everywhere.
Using up your old T-Shirts that were on their way to the trash heap.
Eureka!
I first saw a T-Shirt Rug on pinterest.
Yes I am as guilty as the next person...that site can be addicting,
 but it has so many cool ides! How can one help herself?
But I digress...
Here is it:
by Molly Kay Stoltz
I followed her well explained, step by step and photo filled tutorial.
Pretty easy peasy.

I needed a new throw rug for the kiddos bath.
Their current one was falling apart and , well, you could almost see through it :(

So I started the planing. Their bathroom is beach themed,
 so I dug and dug through the box for beach themed hues for their rug.

Using scissors, I cut and cut until I had blisters.
But it was worth it in the end.

Here is the finished product....



Being I had limited colors to choose from, I chose:
tans representing beach sand
blues representing the water in the ocean
greens representing seaweed and algae
whites representing the frothing of the waves

It works well and I have already washed it in the washer on delicate.
A few of the strips came out.
So I went back and knotted them instead of just half knotting as in the tutorial. Good to go now.
 Some great suggestions in the comments for this post from others who have made these.
Be sure to read them.

Now, what to do with all the leftover strips of T-shirts????


3 comments:

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin