Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Update in Front Gardens

Fertilizer Friday over at Tootsie Time
be sure to pop over and see everyone's gardens


The front garden is comming along nicely.
From ridding the lawn that I mentioned here.
It's 3 years old now.
Thought I'd show before and after pictures.

Lawn...


to no lawn!!!


The Paths go in..




~the first year~

Time to plant...
I put in some perenials and bulbs
with annuals for color
water orb is added (rocks left of photo)



~the second year~

more planting of perenials
added a Pomergranite and Beauty Bush
last years plants are bigger



~this year~

everything is filling in nicely
still adding more plants
Cherry tree was planted


my first ever Foxglove
(not that I haven't tried before)
isn't she gorgeous!


and my first ever Lily of the Valley!
(again, not that I haven't tried!)
I know she is puny,
but I think she's adorable!


a mosaic showing some of the
plants that are blooming in front

Starting clockwise from the left:
Lavender, Tulips, Chives, Cranesbill,
Sweet William,  Lavender
center is a Pelargonium.


I think my neighbors thought I was crazy
when I disposed of the lawn.
I like to think they understand now,
especially since it's filling in.
But...
it will continue to evolve as gardens do.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Deb... it's looking very good... don't you just love "remodeling"? Regarding foxglove, may I recommend the new F1 hybrid Camelot series? If you check my Feb. 15, 2010 posting on my blog...... http://conradartglassgardens.blogspot.com/ ... I have a number of photos of them and they do very well as annuals, having good strong bloom the first year... in fact, I don't use 2nd year plants as they haven't been as nice... perhaps they are actually seedlings and have reversion to one of the parents. At any rate, a camelot started early and given a dose of bloom fertilizer, should be in bloom by late June/early July in Wisconsin. The ones that aren't fertilized bloom later (August) for me. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, your transformation is just lovely.
    Have a beautiful Mother's Day weekend.
    TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb
    Glad you joined the no front lawn club; I wouldn't have ours any other way now. We practically have no turf left out the back either and there is so much more insect activity from the plants as opposed to grass.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOH! I love this! What a fun thing to see the beginning and what it is doing now. I love to see things like this. I look forward to more photo's! Thanks for sharing, paula in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks wonderful! I know how you feel about the Lily-of-the-Valley - I posted about mine (one too!) because I just love it....but once they take hold...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Again, love the front it looks so garden cottage. Really love it!! Slowly bit by bit my front lawn is disappearing, always adding more beds . I think it looks better, more personality!! haha:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, what a big project you have taken on. Can't wait to watch as it matures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb you are one brave soul...I could have never dug up my yard but I really love what you have done with it. Wish I had your talent because I sure do need to do something in my little yard...
    left you a comment about your poor kitty...
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transformation! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful and it just shows how much more you can do to your front to make it so much more attractive than a block of green. I love seeing photos of how gardens progress - I'm sure your neighbour now wishes they had done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you sure did a lot of work...but it was worth it!!! I loved seeing the way it all comes around to the way it is now! Great work!
    thanks for linking in today...I have very much enjoyed my visit..and hope you will share with Fertilizer Friday again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful...you can really imagine how it will evolve in the next few years and it is going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a difference from your before and after pictures of your front yard. I would love to be brave enough to pull out my front lawn and create a flower garden - perhaps the next house. Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm late visiting but I admire your plan of eliminating your grass...wish I had a small enough yard to actually try it...Everything is coming along beautifully and your flowers are beautiful...Applause for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Deb Long time no see!! You are still as creative as ever. The yard looks great:)
    Mary (the_rose_lady)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin