Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Sunday, August 23, 2020

How to Stencil


Everyone knows how to stencil right?

Or do they?

I think sometimes just because a lot of us crafters know how to do something, we assume everyone does. Simple or not, I'm sure there are some out there that have never done it before.

So....

I thought I'd do a little tutorial on how to stencil.
Nothing fancy, just the basics.

I decided to use Chalk Paint since I'm stenciling a letter which has narrow lines. Chalk Paint has a little thicker consistency so I shouldn't have to worry about it bleeding under my stencil.


You don't need much paint at all for something this small, so I'm just using the paint from the lid after shaking the paint. You can use a stencil brush, dauber, sponge brush, in a pinch once I used a Q-tip!
Today I'm using a small stencil brush.
Load your "brush" with a bit of paint.


Now dab off any excess. 
You don't want too much on your ''brush'' 
or the paint will bleed under the stencil 
and your image won't be crisp.


Place your stencil where you want it. 
Tape if necessary to hold in place. 
Paint by dabbing up and down with your ''brush''.


Be sure to thoroughly cover your stencil image with paint.


Remove stencil carefully. 
Wash stencil with warm water and
 gentle liquid soap immediately.


If you clean your stencil before the paint dries,
 it's so much easier to get clean and comes out looking like new.


Wash your brush while you're at it also.


The finished product!
A nice clear stencil with crisp lines.


Stencils can be used to decorate any home decor.


Stencils were used on the sign for this Halloween Wreath


Another example of stenciling. This time on a footstool


You'll notice I needed to switch the paint color to Purple Velvet for the letters due to the white not showing up as visible as I would have liked it. I placed the stencil over the white letter and covered it with purple. Mistake fixed

The more you stencil the better and more versatile you'll be.

You might also like

8 comments:

  1. Your flip-flop decor is so cute! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from the Hearth and Soul link up today. Thanks for the tutorial, and I absolutely love the saying on your footstool. My 4-year-old helps me remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a sweet saying, love that your 4 year old already knows it ♥ Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Great tips. You are so right. Those of us who have always done something often assume everyone else already knows how too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent stencil tutorial. Thanks for sharing with Creative Compulsions!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up with me at my #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 16, open until September 26!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin