Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Caramel Apples ~ To Eat Or Not To Eat?


MMMM...these sure look good don't they?
My family thought so too.
BUT I had to stop them!
These are faux Caramel Apples, not the real thing!


 Lord knows I've been trying to get in the spirit of the change in seasons but having a hard time with it.
With working on the Kitchen... painting, cabinets, benches, etc.
 I've fallen behind on A LOT of things.
I decided to take a much needed break and
 make these.
I think these are a fun Fall Decor.
I have some listed on Etsy and Ebay,
but I thought I'd share with you on how to make them....


for any of you who are having trouble shifting gears too ;~)

These are pretty easy.
What you'll need:

Styrofoam Apples (bought mine at Dollar Tree)
Decoupage Medium (Modge Podge)
Craft Paint (I used Apple Barrel Brand in Caramel Candy color)
Corn Cob Litter (Walmart in Small animal section)
Popsicle sticks
Disposable plastic cup
Plastic Spoon
 Wax Paper
Gloss Spray finish (Walmart Brand Clear Spray)



 Insert your popsicle sticks into the top of your Apples. If you'd like, you can
pull out and add a dab glue.

Place your Apple onto a large piece of Wax Paper.
Mix approximately 1/2 the bottle of Mod Podge about 2-3
teaspoons of your craft paint.
Stir with popsicle stick.
You can add more if it's not opaque enough.
Or adjust the color to your preference.
I wanted mine a little darker, so I added a few squeezes of a darker brown.

Now with your plastic spoon, spoon colored Mod Podge over your Apples.
Let it drip down the sides like real Caramel would.
Repeat over all the Apples.
You can let some of the Apple peek through
near the bottom, this just makes it look truer.


 Sprinkle your Corn Cob litter on the top and lightly down the sides.

Place your Apples onto a new piece of Wax Paper to dry OVERNIGHT!
I checked mine in the morning to see if the glue had
dried, then lay them on their sides for another half a day to dry the bottom.

Once your Apples are completely dry, Spray them with your gloss
clear sealer. This will give them that added shine they need to look
like real Caramel Apples.

If you'd like to go a step further and package them up for gifts, etc.
You can place them into clear cellophane bags and tie them with raffia, ribbon, etc.

I added homespun dredged in cinnamon to tie them up with.
I also added a aged, stamped tag.
Just dip the tag into a strong cup of Coffee or Tea, then bake in oven at 250 for a few minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't scorch.
I used a numbered stamp I had and a small "c" because I didn't have a cents sign. I also rubbed cinnamon on the popscycle sticks to add some scent.


If you decide to make these be careful when they are drying,
 because someone may try to take a bite out of one!

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for showing us how to make these. What a great idea for gift giving.
    Love your blog!!!
    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! They are great!

    I found the real thing in the grocery today that is interesting. It is literally a sheet of caramel, enough for one individual apple (pkg had 4 or 6 sheets of these) that you just wrap around the apple & crinkle the bottom, refrigerate for awhile & they are done. Takes all the fun out of making them fresh, but eliminates the mess ... hmmmm! Not sure which way to go.

    Have a lovely autumn eve. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea...they look soooo good...thanks for sharing and for telling us how to make them.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is just the cutest thing! I have to save this for my project folder :)

    Thank you so much for stopping by my paint party, and your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRRRRRRRRRRRR they look so good i want carmel apples MOM!
    Love Your Son Rebel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look awesome! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are JOKING!!! These are awesomely cool. Faux caramel apples!!! I keep looking at the picture thinking that you joking. I will feature this tomorrow on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Thanks for showing me these. I need to put my email address on my blog. thanks for letting me know this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THESE!!!

    I just found you when I was Blog hopping. And this is such a treasure! Thank you for sharing.

    I LOVE your Banner. I fell in love with the California Coast after coming out there in April for a class with Diana Frey. Been there twice this year. Loved eating at the end of the pier at Avila Beach. Where did you find that great image for Avila Beach? I'll be back to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful...however, you can post a tutorial to this...but, you MUST link back or give credit to me as the designer...these can't be passed off as your design...as I had these featured in the Fall 09 Edition of "Create & Decorate" and own the copyright to these...so, could you please post my link somewhere in this post? Thanks, char

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are AWESOME, I hope you have some left because I am hoping over to your Etsy shop right now. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness.....this is so cute! and real looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, girlie you're making me hungry with these & i bet they're just as hard to eat as the real thing LOL gio

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unbelievable. That is one of the most realistic food items I've seen. What imagination and what a good job. Thanks for sharing. I'll be following.
    Have a blessed day...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found this post!!!! I can't believe how coolt hese are! I am going to buy the stuff tonight!!!! Great gifts for my best friend who decorates like crazy for fall!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing....:):) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant - Brilliant - Brilliant!!!! You've definitely got me in the fall crafting mood now. I just love these!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin