Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Friday, January 19, 2018

Decongestant Shower Melts


It's that time of year where viruses, 
colds, the flu, and other bugs rear their ugly heads.
Congestion abounds and you feel like your
 head is going to explode! 

I started making these Decongestant Shower Melts
a few years ago and they've become a winter staple ever since.
Everyone in my household prefer showers instead of baths hence the Shower Melts versus Bath Bombs.

They are easy to make, just drop one on the floor of the shower as you get in. They dissolve during your shower releasing essential oils to clear your congestion.


You'll need:

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (located in the canning aisle)
1/2 cup Epsom Salts
1 teaspoon water
2 teaspoons Peppermint essential oil
1 teaspoon Eucalyptus essential oil
1 teaspoon fractionated Coconut oil (olive, canola almond, etc. will all work), if you have the solid form of coconut oil, just warm a bit for easier mixing.    
food coloring ~ your choice/optional
bowl
whisk
jar
mold


Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and
 mix them evenly with the whisk.


In the jar, mix the liquid ingredients together.
 This is when the Essential Oils, Coconut oil and 
your choice of food coloring are added.
This is an important step! 
I happened to choose blue.


Slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry mix,
one small spoon at a time.


Once all the liquid is added you want to 
be sure to get the ingredients, 
food coloring, evenly mixed.


I found it was easier to get my 
hands in there to mix it up well.


Next you simply pack the mixture 
tightly into your mold.

Your mold can be anything.
I'm using a mini muffin tin. An ice cube tray, cookie cutter, jar lid, etc. could be used. You don't have to go out and buy a mold.


Once you have packed each mold tightly, 
you'll probably want to scrape off the uneven top part.
I used the wrong side of a knife to just 
scrape the excess back into the bowl.

You do want to work rather quickly so
 the mixture does not dry out.


Once your mold is filled, place something that will fit over the mold. Now place it on top of your filled mold, invert it so your mold is now upside down on top.


Give each mold a slight tap


They all come right out.
Leave to dry/cure for 2 days.
You want them dry and hard.
Keep in a tightly sealed container.

This recipe make 17 small Decongestant Shower Melts.
It's a great combo to relieve the sinuses. All 3 EO's have similar properties, but each varies slightly. Put them together and you have a super combo!

*Peppermint EO has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, analgesic, antifungal, and antiseptic properties.

*Eucalyptus EO has antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, and analgesic

*Lavender EO relieves inflammation and also helps to fight any bacteria and germs that may cause a sinus infection.


This jar was full.
I didn't take the photo quick enough after filling it.
Gonna have to make more!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think the longest they lasted kept dry in my jar was a couple months. I have an asthmatic in the house and another with sinus issues so they go pretty quick :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin