Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Paper Bags Albulms


I was in the mood last month to make
some Paper Bag Albums/Scrapbooks.
They're pretty easy to  make and tons of fun!

You'll need:

 4 brown lunch size paper bags,
or more depending on the size you want to make

all your embellishing goodies
this can include anything and everything 
Lay the paper bags on top of each other
 reveresing each one opposite of the other
 and fold in half


Next punch 3-5 holes for your binding area


I like to use a nail (a very technical tool) 
to keep them aligned when needed

 

I also like to staple the sides of the folded bottom.

It gives it a little more stability,
cuts down on the amount of give of the folds.
But it's not necessary.
Try to remember to do this before
covering the page with your background paper.
If you don't, no worries just embellish over the staples.


If you want a deeper pocket
(let's face it, who doesn't? ;))
just trim a tiny strip off.


You'll be left with two pockets,
one shallow and one deep.
The open ends of the bags make a
great place for keepsakes, notes, tags, etc. 


Now the fun begins.....
You need to cover the brown paper.
Use papers, fabrics or whatever.
There are NO RULES.
Do what ever your heart desires.

Cover the area that you want to cover with glue,
mod podge, etc.


Flip it over onto the wrong side of your covering
and press down hard all over.
Now you can measure and cut to fit or do it this way, 
cutting off the extra around the bag -
whichever is most easiest for you.


Turn it over and trim any extra


There ya go!


Now you can cover two pages at once or each page individually.

I've done it both ways and each is just as easy.
Or if you want some of the brown paper showing
just cover part or even none!


If you hold the pages up to the light
 you can see where you need to punch your holes
through the "covering" papers


Voila!


OK
Ready Set Embellish!

You can layer papers....


and more papers, make pockets,


add images...


trims, found objects, beads, buttons... whatever


In order to bind the pages together, you can use yarn, string, raffia,
binder rings, strips of fabrics,
anything that will be able to keep the book together.

I stuff these with lots of goodies, but there is always room for more.
I add a ribbon to the front and back.
I usually find something to add where the ribbon's attached to
 help keep it more secure. I like to use my hot glue for this.
The ribbon can be tied or wound around a button.
 It will adjust to the volume of the book
while keeping the contents secure.

Here are the ones I made last month.
A Vintage Garden



Lots of vintage papers...



and old embellishments.


Cottage Garden Treasures


Lots of florals....


pockets and fun trims... 


with room for jotting garden notes.


Garden Fairies


Some stories...


Fairy catching info...


even a recipe.



Some I've made in the past:



I started on a series of vintage "Cookbooks"
vol. 1



Stuck in lots of tags, old pamphlets....


old recipes....



embellished with old buttons, rick rack.......



even included an attached yarn bookmark
with XO beads on the end


lots to go through!


Vol. 2
I used part of my Grandmother's old apron to cover
 the front of this one.
The person who purchased this, 
gave it to her Mother for Christmas.


Included in the pocket were things
Grandma may have had in there
*note the date on the letter...1917


tons of tags and old recipes


even and old order blank from the dairy


"New Perfection Cook Stove"!


more treasure packed inside


We have a friend that instead of exchanging gifts
at Christmas we exchange pictures from that year.
This one I made into a photo Album/Scrapbook
for her.


See you can use just about anything....


paper pieces....


farmer handkerchieves....


tidbits of lace, trim...


an old tea towel.....


stamp if you'd like....


can't say no to dried rose petals...


Well, I hope that gave you enough inspiration to try one for yourself.
If not, the ones I made last month 
will be in my store by the end of the week. ☺

17 comments:

  1. I love these paper bag books. I made one for each girl that attended my daughter's slumber party a couple of years ago. I took tons of pics and used those for them to remember the weekend. I love the ones that you made. I may have to make some more of those. Maybe Mother's Day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mosaic Deb.
    What a lot of work you put into your paper bag books - each unique in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is gorgeous! Great inspiring pictures! The books you made are adorable! So creative I would never have guessed they started as a paper bag. So creative and lovely! Thanks for sharing - Hope you have a a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial and all the ideas.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Very beautiful mosaic picture! Also, thank you for sharing that wonderful tutorial on how o make those paper bag books! very awesome! I hope that you have a lovely new week!
    Hugs...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I need to go out and get some paper bags and try this, it looks like fun...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! This is WONDERFUL!! I LOVE all the little books you show here today, and am definitely inspired!.. Of course I felt partial to all the beautiful crochet trims~n~pieces I see you added here and there, but I love all your buttons, bows, laces, and the endless creative embellishments you used too! Can't wait to try making one myself, sometime, so thank you so much for the tutorial! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful!! you are very crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and beautiful things to eat in your garden! Love the paper bag books! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omigosh, how creative! Love all your "food in the making," too. :) Thanks so much for sharing at MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a few of these a few years ago when I belonged to a rubber stamping club...forgot how cute they are! Yours are lovely....beautiful colors and trimmings - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great project! Thanks for sharing it step by step!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb, I love these! I have a couple of questions.
    1. Are the covers sturdy enough just using paper lunch bags?

    2. Can you use fabric? If so what kind of adhesive?

    3. What adhesive do you think holds the book together the longest? What adhesives do you use?
    Thank you for sharing with the tutorial! Joan @Americana By Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good heavens...I'm exhausted just looking at all the ideas. I'm so ready for our gardens to start blooming...we're still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are darling! I love how you can make one for just about anyone/anything! Thanks for sharing!
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb those are so creative and wonderful. I have a spiral bound adress book I want to make into one of these. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin