Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Canning Time


Yes, it's that time again.
Everything is ripening - more than you can eat so let's get picking and canning!
A few small Zucchini, Cucumber and Spring Onions

Grapes, Grapes and more Grapes
This is just the beginning.
My Thompson Seedless is an excellent producer
and there is more left to pick!

Yes, I share with the Mocking Birds,
as you can see the picked clean stem on the table ♥
Washed and ready to eat!

B works with a lady that has a great Veggie garden and she has been sharing with him and he has been sharing with us. Each time I see him we receive a big box of Squash

Time to can!

This year I've decided to try Zickles (Zucchini Pickles)

and Zapplesauce (Zucchini Applesauce).
After all if I can make a Zapple Pie why can't you make Zapplesauce right?

Zickles first.

Zickles

Ingredients:

2 pounds Zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Salt 
1 1/2 cup White Vinegar
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Dill Seed
3/4 teaspoon Mustard Seed
3/4 teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard
Fresh Dill Sprigs

Directions:

(the scraps in the white bowl are for Tilly,
she loves eating fresh veggies)

Thinly slice Zucchini


 1.Add Salt to sliced Zucchini and mix thoroughly.
Let stand for 1 hour and then drain
 
 2. Mix remaining ingredients and boil for 3 minutes.
(Yes, I was multi-tasking by cooking a huge package
of hamburger at the same time so I could
freeze it into 1 pound bags)
 
3. Pour hot mixture over Zucchini slices
and let stand for at least 1 hour.

 During that hour I sliced the Zucchini for the Zapplesauce.
 I also shredded Zucchini, Patty Pan
and Crook Neck Squash.
I placed 2 cups of shredded Squash
into bags for the freezer.
I use shredded Zucchini for my Pina Colada Jam, 
Zucchini Nut Bread, and what ever else
I decide to throw it into like Spaghetti Sauce. 
 
4. Place Zucchini and liquid to a large pot and boil for 3 minutes.
5. Pack Zucchini tightly in hot sterilized jars. Add Dill Sprigs.
6. Pour in the hot liquid, wipe jar rims and threads clean and seal.
7. Label and store in a cool place.
8. Place jars upside down for 15 mins. then turn right side up.
The lids will plink when sealed.

You can also do:

Water Bath Canning
Process in water bath for 20 minutes for pints or quarts.
Start timing when water boils
I have to say they taste really good!
They are like Bread and Butter Pickles. YUM!
*******************
Zapplesauce
Ingredients:
12 cups Zucchini, peeled, seeded and cut into slices
1/2 cup water
1 - 2 cups Sugar, to your liking
1 - 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon, to your liking
Directions:
1. In a large pot combine Zucchini and water.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until Zucchini is soft.
3. Drain all but a little liquid
4. Use a potato masher to mash Zucchini. If there seems to be a lot of liquid, you can drain some more.



5. Stir in Sugar and Cinnamon. Spoon a bit out, let cool and taste. Adjust Sugar and Cinnamon to taste.
6. Add to hot sterilized jars. Wipe jar rims and threads clean and seal.
7. Label and store in a cool place.
8. Place jars upside down for 15 mins. then turn right side up. The lids will plink when sealed.
You can also:
Water Bath Canning
Process in water bath for 20 minutes for pints or quarts.
Start timing when water boils.


 The Zapplesauce turned out amazing.
Hoping T leaves it alone so I have some for Easter Dinner!
More Canning and creative ways to use
ALL that Zucchini to come.
  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, this is a great post and brings back so many wonderful memories of my canning days when we had a garden. We try here but just too hot. I do put up veggies when I buy extra at the local markets and put them in the freezer and also do green peppers the same as the zucchini. I can just imagine how good the zickles are.
    Thanks for sharing and your recipes.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring post! Might try zome of the recipies when the zucchinies take off! Now i have to take care of some gooseberries picked yesterday, and later on a lot of apples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bread and butter pickles! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm absolutely interested in the zapplesauce but I'm reading mixed information about water bath canning zucchini. Thoughts???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I have never done water bath canning. I remember my Mom used to with all those lugs of fruit she used to buy! Her and my Aunt would can for DAYS!!! I don't remember where I got it from, but "learned" to leave them upside down for 15 mins. then turn right side up. Knew they were sealed by the 'plink'! I have kept applesauce for around 2 years and all my family is still alive ;) But wanted to put the water bath method in all my canning recipes for those who do it.
      My 2 cents for what they're worth ;)
      Happy canning!

      Delete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin