Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Don't Get Scamed!!

Need to read...beware. I never answer my phone unless I know the name calling...due to tricks like this.

Received this and wanted to pass it on....
 

809 Area Code
We actually received a call last week from the

809 area code.
The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly.
I have something important to tell you.'
Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809.
We did not respond. Then this week, we received the following e-mail:

Do Not
Dial AREA CODE 809, 284 AND 876 from the U.S. or Canada .

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T.
DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

This one is being distributed all over the US. This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.


Be sure you read this and pass it on.


They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away.
Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the U.S. or Canada, you will apparently be charged a minimum of
$2425 per-minute.

And you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep
you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809
area code is located in the Dominican Republic.
The charges afterward can become a real nightmare.That's because you did actually make the call.
If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company.
You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.


AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE
: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045

SNOPES VERIFIES IT'S TRUE:
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=area+code+809&x=26&y=15&sp-a=00062d45-sp00000000&sp-advanced=1&sp-p=all&sp-w-control=1&sp-w=alike&sp-date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c=100&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Deb, it's been too long! Thank you for the information on the scam number. We're having so many calls from politicians that I let the machine take everything and then check to see if it's legitimate or not. Now I know to never call this particular number.

    I'm sorry to hear you've had loved ones with surgeries, but glad to hear they are doing well.

    And the raccoons.......oh, don't get me started! They are extremely vicious. I read about Cyndar's fight with them in 2009 and was amazed, though, I never thought they would actually attack a dog that size. And how brave you were to knock the coon off your dog's back!

    Years ago my late, great German Shepherd killed a raccoon after a long drawn-out battle in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure what he was fighting with and by the time I got outside, he dropped the body right by the back door. Amazing. I always remember reading that a raccoon will try to lure a dog to water and then jump on the dog's head and drown it. They are cute-looking, but very dangerous.

    I hope things settle down for you soon, Deb. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is beautiful sweet friend! I love the header photo...and your slogan...is adorable!
    I haven't been around much...and I am so sorry! I have lots on the go...and my computer is SO SLOW anymore. I think it is time to retire this old gal and get a new one...ugh...I hate learning to get used to a new computer

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin