Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Blooms and More......


I'm linking to these wonderful ladies.
Be sure to visit their wonderful blogs and
see this weeks participants!


Melody at Etsy Cottage Style for Vintage Alphabet Party

Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphisis Monday

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality fo Today's Thrifty Treasures

Roeshel at The Diy Show Off 
Diane at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words for 2nd Time Around Tuesday

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
 
Michelle at Someday Crafts for Whatever Goes Wednesday

Jill Women Who Do It All for Idea Sharin' Wednesday


Tootsie at Tootsie Time for Fertilizer Friday

XOXOXOXOXOX

We have been having such gorgeous weather the last few days.
About 75* during the day and 50's at night.
The garden is waking up with bright shining faces!


I was looking through my Treasure Pile and spied these two old bird cages.
I remembered seeing "planted" cages somewhere here in blogland.
 I can't remember where, so if it's you let me know so I can give you proper credit!
Anyway, with all this Spring weather I needed to get my fingers in dirt!

This one I found in a farmer's field...
as is, no bottom.
But I loved the color!
Perfect for the backyard.
It was still there a few weeks after I first saw
 it so I pulled over and snagged it ;)
I picked up a tin baking pan at Dollar Tree,
made a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
Then painted it green so it would blend better once the plants fill in.


I had some Moisture Control Planting Mix so I added that.
It will help hold moisture during our 105+* Dog Days of Summer.
I also hooked it up to my drip line, which is that black hose you
see in the back.
I planted Impatiens which should do well in both cages.
In the center I have an angel that is blowing a kiss.


I added sphagnum moss to the top to help hold mositure
as well as hide some discrepancies, like the drip line.

Onto the next one which came from the free pile at a garage sale.
It is missing the sliding tray...no biggie.


I stuffed sphagnum moss into the front opening
where the tray would be. Covered the moss with a coffee filter
to keep soil from escaping when it drains.
Added soil and planted.
Yep, another angel blowing a kiss.
Sphagnum moss again over the top.


In her final resting spot near the front door


By now you're probably wondering about
my angels....

They have special meaning to me.
After we moved here I wanted
to find "something" blowing a kiss.
It's a special memory from when I was younger...
and older too.
Doesn't sound difficult.
I was always on the look out at
Yard and Garage sales, Thrifts, etc.
Wasn't any to be found.
I kind of forgot about it for awhile.

Then my Mom passed.
Once I started going to sales and; thrifting again
I started finding them.....
Lots of them!
I don't seek them out anymore...they find me
I feel it Mom's way of saying "hi".
Sounds silly I know, but they have a way of turning up
just when I need a "hug".
Love and Miss you Mom.

Speaking of blowing kisses...
look what I found while thrifting this weekend

Yep, another one
she's already settled nicely into
"The Fairy Walk"
$2 at yard sale


A couple other finds from this weekend

Love this sweet bunny!
$3 at Secondhand Treasure Thrift


Yes....it is a Totem Pole.
As my daughter and I were leaving,
my Rebel (#2 son) yelled 'find me something!'
He, as well as all my family,
 already know if I see something for them I get it.
Saw the Totem and thought of him, ha!
Felt he was worth the $3...LOL
He will do his own makeover on it,
painting and the like...have to see what he comes up with ☺



XOXOXOXOXO

WOW, have we been having great weather!
Spring fever is in full bloom.
The other day I just needed Spring Color
on my front door. Fast!
Ransacked my Treasure Pile and
came up with a garland, a piece of ribbon
and a painted wooden egg.
Wound the garland into a wreath,
added the ribbon and egg...
and voila!
What do ya think?


Not too bad for less than 5 minutes and $0!

XOXOXOXOXOX

Today are the letter C and D for the Vintage Alphabet Party.
I didn't have any trouble comming up the letter "C"
but "D" was another story.....

For "C" I'm showing off my Crocks.
All of the numbered ones where my Grandmothers, on my Dad's side.
2 and 3 gallon


5 gallon


and the Papa of all Crocks..
the 15 gallon

 It's kinda grubby and stained and has a large crack in it,
but it's ok, comes in handy for a side table
or a plant stand, in this case  ;~)


Now on to "D"

I finally settled on my Mom's Demilune Table
I love it's shape and turned legs!
It's been waiting for it's makeover for awhile now...
it will come in time.


Sorry for such a bad photo, bad lighting.

Be sure to check out all the particpants for this weeks meme's,
it's such fun to see what everyone is doing.

31 comments:

  1. G'day Deb ~ What a lovely array of garden decorations ... love your yard sale finds. I'd never have thought of a bird cage planted, love it.

    Happy spring.
    Have a beautiful week.
    TTFN, Hugs ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cutest idea for using a birdcage I've ever seen!! What lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mosaic Deb. I love what you did with the bird cages. There are a couple I put out each year and sometimes I put plants in them and often, I don't. Of course they look much nicer with flowers inside for colour and I'll have to be sure to do that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb-what a neat idea for a bird cage--I actually have a couple of those I got at garage sales--now I can do something more creative with them--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you feel the angels are your Mom's way of saying "hi". Not silly a bit. They would make me smile every time that I saw them too. Lovely sentiment! Love what you did with the birdcages. I can't wait for spring! Oh how I miss the sun! Soon, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love it all! I have a couple white cupid type angels and was wondering what to do with them. Thanks to your imagination I think I will find some old birdcages and hang them in my arbor. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful entry. I love the crocks, flowers, the memories the kissing angels hold for you of your Mom, the bird cages are awesome finds, I love what you did with them. Such vision. Hope you don't mind my borrowing.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bird cage was so cute and clever, I love it on the stump! Happy Monday to you too, it's almost over:) Have a great night and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb, gotta love the creativity in you! Beautiful spring flower mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deb! Love the bird'c'ages as angel/fairy planters. It's easier for your Mom to find the angels. Crocks are great and what a lovely heirloom table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers are so bright & cheerful! Waiting for some of that warmer weather to head our way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your calendulas are so robust and full - gorgeous!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers! What a fabulous idea for the bird cage! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your birdcage idea Deb! I have the same Demilune table - picked up for $1.00 at a Garage Sale needing a make-over too :-) It sits in our family room and holds the telephone/phone book etc so I am thinking of painting it and adding a quote relating to the phone :-) Looking forward to stopping by and seeing what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deb,
    I used to have an old birdcage but sold it....darn, I love what you did with yours.

    The flowers, crocks...are all so pretty. I love the story of the angels.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, please come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the transformation on the bird cage with the angel in it. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Deb Have you ever got your comment done and went to post only to hit the wrong button and use it. I just did that maybe it is telling me I need to go to bed. I loved your post today. My mother had crocks like yours. She made pickles in hers. I can remember the salt water in it and her putting a plate upside down on top of it with a weight to hold them down. Take care Your Missouri Friend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deb,
    I luv your bird cage gardens...such a neat idea! I was so happy to see you at my PAR=TAY...hope you had a good time:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderfully creative ideas and beautiful spring blossoms ;-)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you sure are busy and creative. I love what you did with the bird cages. And your wreath is so cute. Isn't it nice to know your mom is blowing you kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came by to remind you about the Vintage Easter Blog Hop. I will be putting my party post up Saturday evening and then you can come by to link your post up. xo Joan@anythinggoeshere

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your gardens are waking up, beautiful. I have a small bird cage with Angelina Sedum planted in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think it's silly at all! That is exactly what is happening..exactly!
    I loved your post and I want to do that to my bird cages instead of letting them just sit around the shed empty. :) I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW ! Where do I start, You are one busy girl! I don't know where you find the time for all the memes. I absolutely adore your beautiful bird cages ! you did such a great job on them, they are so pretty! I'm partial to whimsey & eye candy!lol
    And I do believe that truely is the case; that is your Mom with you, how beautiful for you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Deb. What wonderful ideas. I love to see the way you used the birdcage. Very pretty.It is so fun to find some really great things at flea markets,thrift stores and yard sales. I am always looking for things to add to the garden or home. You have found some great finds!
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  27. I kick myself often for selling the birdhouses I had in a garage sale a few years back...since they are gone I have found a thousand Ideas for them!! Yours look wonderful! thanks for linking in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. aloha deb,

    that was fun seeing your collections, i enjoyed your post

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look great - now to find one for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this! I would love for you to come link up over at my blog! I've got prizes :)
    -Jill
    http://womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The birdcages are so popular right now!! I love it, yours is so cute!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin