Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

USS NEW YORK!


IN GOD WE TRUST
 
USS 
New York 




 
Here SHE is,  
the USS New York, 
made from the
World
Trade 
Center! 

 
USS 
New York 

It was built with 24 tons of
scrap steel from the 
World
Trade 
Center

It is the 
fifth in a new class of warship -
designed for missions that include 
special operations against terrorists. 
It will carry a crew of 360 sailors 
and 700 combat-ready Marines
to be delivered ashore 
by helicopters and assault craft.
 
Steel from the
World
Trade
Center 
was melted down in a foundry 
in Amite, LA,
to cast the ship's bow section. 
 
When it was poured
into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, 
'those big rough steelworkers 
treated it with total reverence,'
recalled Navy Capt.Kevin Wensing, 
who was there.
'It  was a  spiritual moment 
for everybody there.' 
Junior Chavers, 
foundry operations manager, 
said that when the trade center steel 
first arrived, 
he touched it with his hand 
and the 'hair on my neck stood up.'
 'It had a big meaning to it for  
all of us,' he said. 
'They knocked us down. 
They can't keep us down. 
We're going to be back.' 


The ship's motto? 

'Never Forget'
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin