This is the story of how and why
"I need to look closer at things".
A few years ago, yes years, I picked up a clock at a garage sale.
I think it was like 25 cents. I didn't care if it worked or not.
If it did great! If not I could revamp it into "something else".
It had a silver metal base with a cream colored globe on top.
The clock was set inside the globe.
After placing new batteries in it, I discovered it didn't work.
No biggie. I removed the clock component
and planned to do an assemblage with a sweet vintage image
of a little girl as the background inside the inset.
As I looked at the base of what used to be the clock,
it all of a sudden looked weird like it was suppose
to actually be "something'' rather than just
an abstract metal base.
Lo and behold it was Mickey Mouse!
How in the world did I miss seeing him!
Well, now I felt stupid and knew the assemblage
I had in my mind was definitely not going to work.
As you can see I had already started
painting it for the assemblage!
I decided to remove the "globe"
part of the clock. After prying it off, I cut off and
sanded the prongs that were holding the "globe" on.
I had a pillar candle in my candle stash and
a pair of gold Mickey Mouse earrings
in my jewelry stash.
I took apart the MM earrings and cut off the loops.
I then got out my embossing gun, heated the 2 MM's up
and pressed them into opposite sides of the candle.
There was quite a gap between the MM's,
so I dug out some small gold beads to place
in between filling the gaps.
Now to restyle the clock base into a candle holder.
I dug through my Treasure pile and found a cute
round wire candle holder.
It was gold with a sprinkling of glitter.
I affixed it to the MM base with, yes, good old JB Weld
Next I painted MM gold and sprinkled glitter
on him to coordinate with the wire holder.
Mickey never looked so good!
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has
not recognized something!
I now had a round globe with a huge hole in it.
I couldn't bear to throw it away...
us crafters never through anything away!
I surely could figure out something to make with it.
First I filled the hole with putty.
If it were bigger I could do something similar
like everyone is doing with bowling balls for the garden.
Then I thought, why not!
Sorry, no photos of the 'making of'.
I wasn't sure I could pull it off and
so photos were the last thing on my mind.
I decided to do a mosaic with sea glass.
I've only done one mosaic in my lifetime
and that was many moons ago.
I adhered the sea glass to the 'globe'.
Covered it in grout, wiped it off and
tried to wait patiently while it dried.
Then life happened once again and
it was put on the back burner for a few weeks.
By the time I got around to sealing the grout
I was very sure it was thoroughly dried!
After the sealer was dry,
I sprayed a few coats of Diamond Spray on it
so the sea glass will look shiny like its wet.
I also found a small ceramic urn in my Treasure pile
and thought it would be perfect to hold this little gazing globe.
It fits in perfectly with my beach themed bathroom.
It may make it outside in a vignette come Spring!