Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Projects Finally Done

Yes, it takes me awhile to finally get around to
 or even finish my projects once I start them. :(
Oh well, these are finally done.
It's Summer and Beach is on the mind!

Some of my wooden planters were falling apart
(hey, they are about 20 yrs old!)
So I salvaged the naturally aged and worn wood,
slapped some glorious turquoise paint on them
 and did some stenciling.
Added shells from my extensive collection
 from my beach combing trips.
Then placed them here and there
throughout the house and in the front yard.

I also added shells around a frame,
 then painted them white.
I added my favorite Beachy saying:
"May you always have a shell in your pocket
 and sand in your shoes"

I even made a beachy looking candle!
The bottom third is sand
followed by a layer of beach glass.
Wiggle a thick "taper type" candle in
so it's nice and stable and there you go :)
Feels a little beachy-er around here now :)


I also made some Creamy Moisturizer
 for my poor gardening hands using this
One Good Thing by Jillee Simple Recipe
Works great for your hands,
especially if they are really dry. 
 It doesn't burn like some other creams do.
Awesome after shaving your legs too!
I gave jars of these out for Easter.


I had purchased a couple of non-working clocks
a long time ago with the idea of transforming them.
I found them in my Treasure Pile recently
 and finally got to work on them.
  
This mantle clock was upcycled into
shabby distressed Garden Cottage decor. 
This wall clock was made into a tribute for a Mother.


I also found a gazillion muslin bags in my Treasure Pile.
 I'm sure they came out of my Dad's Shop
 when we cleaned up the farm.
My Daughter had recently given me a
bouquet of dried Roses she had received
and had been saving. 
They were still in tact, full of dust,
but still in good condition for their age.
I knew I wanted to do something with them.
 I dusted them off ~ with my blow dryer...be sure to do
 this outside, unless you want dust flying
everywhere in your house!
I then gave them a good coat of hairspray
and set them aside for a bit.
When I found the muslin bags the light bulb went on!

I stamped the bag with a large Rose then
 colored it using colored pencils.
I added the Rose bouquet inside and
 tied off with a strip of cheesecloth.
I love the way it turned out.
Romantic looking.


When my Daughter and middle Son
went through High School they both took shop.
Since the curriculum never changes,
 even though they are 9 years apart,
I ended up with a set of stools/ottomans.
Believe me, I'm not complaining.
I l♥ve them!
When they were brought home they were raw wood.
It was up to me to figure out how I want to finish them.

I finished my Daughter's fairly quickly.
At the time a new colored stain had just come out.
Can't remember the company but it was advertised in every magazine I had seen. It looked really pretty in the photos,
 so I decided to give it a try. I chose a rose color.
 I liked how you were able to get color
but still see the grain of the wood.
I added a Rose decal to top it off.
It happened to coordinate well with this chair, I loved it. 
Enter mild mannered Bella.
Our newest addition, a Red Doberman/Corgi mix.
First pics here.
Who would think a 3 year old dog
would still be going through a chewing phase!?
She ate the corner right off!!
Frustrated, I tried to figure out how I was going to fix this.
Of course, wouldn't you know they don't make that stain anymore :(
 Using wood putty I recreated the corner.
Now what to do since I couldn't match the stain.
Yep, the top got several coats of white
(I really liked the way it was before,
but change is good) :/
And 2 vintage decals.
I didn't get around to distressing it
to match the rest of the piece,
 but every one's shoes will do that for me ;) 
 
T's stayed in the raw for several years, 7 to be precise.
Embarrassed? yes!
But my kiddos know I will eventually get around to doing things.
Thank goodness for their patience.

I decided to go all white with his and have a different colored top.
(I actually did his before  M's was chewed up.)
 I remembered seeing a plastic doily used as a sort of stencil.
Every time I see those old plastic ones I pick them up,
I have several sizes in my supplies now.

I sprayed the back of the doily lightly with adhesive
 and placed it where I wanted it.
Then painted on the green by first dabbing/stippling the doily,
then finished painting out the top.
I gently lifted the doily off.
I was worried about the paint bleeding under the doily,
so there are areas where I didn't apply
the paint as evenly as the others.
It's not quite "perfect". But it's perfect for me!
Even with the sealant I used,
the paint will wear once shoes are on and off it.
so this just gives it a head start for that
shabby distressed/used look.


Whew!
Finally got these posted. Long post huh? 
Some of these have been done for awhile
with their photos sitting in my camera.
 Others I have just finished.
And Yes, I know, I forget to take before
 photos most of the time, Sorry :/
There's more to come ♥



7 comments:

  1. Love those stools!!! We moms have to keep all those special treasures!!! And love the muslin bag idea....good one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Deb! You have been so busy and I love ALL of your ideas! I have many dried flowers heads and what a great way with the bags!

    I have a large stash of (TO DO) one day too with Clock cases and parts, jewelry chests, cigar boxes,etc, I am meaning to make curiosity boxes.

    I need to get out of the garden and get busy!
    I have such stash I can't even photo it for this blog week.

    I love your makings, your sign colors are just fabulous!

    Oh, How I am wishing I was at the beach with the surf and my tors in the sand!
    Thanks for your post, it is inspiring!
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Deb, when you are on a roll, you get things done! Great re-purpose and upcycling, I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring, too. Thanks for sharing this kind of inspiring knowledge with us.

    Great weblog, congrats! You will find so many developers doing work on this segment but this is one on the ideal innovative idea .
    This is a nice post in an intriguing line of material.
    Fantastic perform.

    my web page; precision nutrition cookbook amazon

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH wow theres nothing that I don't love about this post. Your beach signs are to die for and I love what you did with your benches and especially the clock redo.
    This has to be one of my favorite post. I am so glad you shared these beautiful projects.
    You really are so gifted.
    Hope your well my blogging days are as slow as I am these days.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG you have been one BUSY gal! I love the beach plaques you made. That color is fabulous!!!! And the tables the kids made are great, I love both treatments and the one with the doily looks wonderful just as it is. Great job. I have a little plant table Ty made me in shop too. It also came home unfinished and I've painted it so many times. The last was just last week. Still haven't posted that yet. I've never tried making homemade hand cream but would love too. You do it all don't you? The shell frame is so cute and the candle holder. And what a smart makeover of the clocks. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a footstool that my Dad made me and I treasure it. Might be time for a new paint job on it also. Thanks for sharing at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin