Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In a Pinch.....

I'm joining:

 Michelle over at Someday Crafts for Whatever Goes Wednesday

and Jill from Women Who Do It All for Idea Sharin' Wednesday


OK, So I'm repainting the living room this Summer,
yes, I know it's just Spring,
but since I only paint one wall at a time,
usually a couple weeks apart....
you see where I'm going with this don't you?

Anyway, some of the things in the living room are staying
just getting a minor makeover to fit the new color scheme.
Like this frame.
 A couple years ago I found it at a garage sale brought it home,
made and added the polymer clay
appliques and painted it pink.

Since I've chosen Mid Day Mocha by Glidden for the walls,
 I plan to use different shades of white for the accents.

So a repaint was in order for the frame.
Here it is in Antique White.
It looked...ok, but
not quite where I wanted it to go.


I was wishing I had some stain on hand.....
I had some brown paint I could water down to give it a "brown wash" ?
Then the light bulb went on.
I had just made and used dark instant coffee
to age some fabric and paper I needed for a swap I'm in.
Wonder if I can use the leftover?

Well I slopped some on, being sure it got into the crevices



dabbed it off...


and what do you know
I liked it!
It knocked it down just enough.


So if you're ever in a pinch
make up some strong instant coffee
and use it as stain.
Not only will it look great,
you get a coffee scented room freshener too!!!
LOL

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I like the frame better after you used the coffee. As you say, it toned it down and really makes it look better. The rain came and it helped the allergies. Would you believe we had 40 degree weather this morning. We are suppose to have sunshine tomorrow. Have a wonderful day. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool Deb! Love the frame. Where is the tutorial on the embellishments that you made? Those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb this turned out really nice and glad you showed us how you did it.
    I love your new look...you have really done a lot to your site since I stopped by last and it looks lovely.
    Hope your doing well.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)
    What would we ever do without coffee?

    Now I'm eyeing my mirror and thinking it needs sprucing up. Hmmmmm.

    Happy day to you, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower! thanks for sharing about the lovely frame... very pretty! like what you did...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks absolutely amazing! The perfect frame. :-)

    Have a great week,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this great tip...just might need to give it a try!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice touch! Thanks for joining the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I like, making do with what you have on hand. Is that what’s referred to as Yankee ingenuity? The frame turned out great, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great look. When I read about wateriing down brown paint, I cringed. I did that. Several times and each time I wiped instead of dabbed and the white paint peeled off. lol. Next time I'll dab and I bet it will work. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to leave me a comment. Helps me to know I'm not totally crazy...like my family thinks I am!
*hugs*deb

.

.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin