Welcome to my
Perfectly Imperfect Life..........

.

.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Feed Your Worms!

Don't forget to feed your worms!
Now you probably think I'm crazy, but your garden will appreciate it.
We all know I love to garden. I try to keep it as organic as possible. Hate putting chemicals on my plants...that includes fertilizer.
I don't have the room for a compost pile or the energy to tend to it...
so I do my "lazy man gardener" style =)
What I do...
I have a big metal bowl (you can find something much prettier, I'm sure =))
that sits next to my kitchen sink. To it I add fruit & vegetable peelings & trimmings, egg shells, coffee grounds, veggies or fruit past it's prime, etc. throughout the day.
When I get a chance I go out into my yards & look for a spot in which to bury these....a bare spot or near but not next to a plant so you don't disturb it's roots. Now you dig several small/medium holes & fill until your collection is gone. Sometimes I'm in a hurry & just dig a big hole for all of it...but it takes longer for it to compost. Make sure the hole is deep enough to replace the dirt you removed from it. After all you don't want critters to come & dig it up.
Also be sure NOT to include meat or dairy items.
These are not beneficial to the garden.
Your Earthworms will come along & eat all these yummies up & leave their castings (poop aka fertilizer). Your plants will absolutely love this. I have been doing this for years, so believe me it's a tried & true method.
And it FREE!
AND if you're lucky you may just have a few volunteer plants pop up!
I have volunteer tomatoes & cucumbers this year =)
If you don't want to do the whole collection thing,
here a few plants that do well with certain scraps.
Roses love Bananas! Bananas have calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, & sulfur just to mention a few of the nutrients they have.
Bury the whole peel about an inch below the soil at the base of the plant.
Camellias, Azaleas, & Tomatoes love Egg Shells!
Dry & coarsely crumble the shells & mix lightly or sprinkle on top of the soil.
Egg Shells provide calcium & magnesium. An added bonus is slugs & snails are discouraged from getting into your garden because they can't move over the broken shells.
So save those veggie & fruit scraps for the garden!

Your plants will love you for it =)

Now go feed your worms!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin